Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nutrition is NOT perception unfortunately

I'm watching what I eat, but really, what woman isn't. On occasion I will pick food up from downtown if I'm already in the vicinity. I always felt that grabbing a naked (without tortilla) burrito at Qdoba was a much better alternative to the usual fast food joints. Unfortunately, perception does not magically shave off calories. I got the idea to just look up the nutrition information of what I usually get. I have been doing this recently with things I regularly order. WITHOUT cheese and sour cream, a naked poblano pesto burrito with chicken, pico de gallo, and corn salsa is 650 calories. Granted, the portion size is HUGE and I cannot normally eat all of it. I did some tweaking with their nutrition calculator and if you love cheese and sour cream plopped on your burrito you are talking a 900 calorie meal. If you opt for a tortilla instead of having your burrito naked it adds up to around 1200. Essentially, this is no better eating than a super sized meal from McDonalds. (aside from the added fiber and lack of trans / saturated fats)
I suppose this shouldn't shock me. I cannot tell you how many "all natural" or "healthy" labeled products are filled with excess sugar and sodium.


I dare you to see the truth about your favorite burrito... I'm also assuming these calculations would apply to similar burrito chains:


http://qdoba.com/Calculate.aspx

No comments: